Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Backyard Garden Ponds

A picture of a pond in a residential garden.Image via WikipediaI would like to expose you to a wonderful hobby that's fun and rewarding, the field of garden ponds. If you'd like to build a pond then allow me to give you many ways that I learned through the years. Whether you are considering fish ponds or garden ponds, these few tips will help you get started.

-My first tip is usually to plan your pond carefully. You need to locate your pond away from trees or large plants because when fall comes the leaves fall, and guess where they go, right in your pond. They cause decay and waste and make more work for you. It is good on your pond to stay in about 60% sun although not more than that. Too much sun and you will promote algae growth, which could quickly over chance a pond.

-My next tip would be to decide if you're going to have merely a garden pond or fish pond? This is important because congratulations, you must decide on a pond liner. You'll find basically two methods to go here; you are a rubber liner or possibly a molded liner, it will make a difference about the type of pond you're going to have. If you are planning to add fish then I would choose the rubber liner that's flexible, strong, and allow you to design your pond in different shape you ultimately choose. If you decide to add Koi, you then must have a pond for at least 3 feet deep at one end, but if you happen to be just going to have a water garden pond then a molded liner could be fine.

-My third tip is about filtration and keeping your pond clean. How embarrassing it may be to have a few friends over and you show them your pond, however they are unable to view your fish as the water is simply too dingy. We are going to prevent that from happening utilizing the proper pond filter and pump. To produce this a fun and rewarding hobby you must install the proper filtration system to your pond. You have to calculate how many gallons of water your pond holds, so that you can size your filter and pump. I will give you my suggestion here from many years of experience with 3 different ponds with trying many types of pond filtration systems. To maintain really clear water inside my pond I personally use what is called a staged filter system using a submersible pump towards the bottom of my pond. The kind I use can be a Laguna© high efficiency waterfall filter. The key reason why I use a waterfall is usually to help oxidize water, and besides it appears good.

-My final tip is to add water plants so your fish will surely have cover on those bright sunny days. For instance, We've water lilies covering about have of my pond that produce beautiful flowers yet still give shade to my fish. Be careful what types of plants that you simply add, specifically if you have Koi inside your pond because they love to munch on vegetation. I make use of floating planters that keep my Koi from eating the plants.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: